Call for participation «Strengthening media-expert dimension of the Ukrainian-Hungarian Understanding»
Hungarian journalists are invited to take part in the 3-day visit to Ukraine in May, 2018, and receive first-hand information on the situation in Ukraine. The trip will include staying in Kyiv and the east of the country, meetings with high-ranking Ukrainian officials, and participating at the Hungary-Ukraine Forum.
Recently, political relations between Hungary and Ukraine have considerably deteriorated due to the exploitation of historical stereotypes and emotional sentiment and debates on the adopted language article of the educational law of Ukraine. Although some of the reasons may be of a temporary cyclical nature, such as elections, more in-depth issues revolve around a lack of cooperation between the two countries’ media, experts, and government officials. The low participation of experts and media in the discussions resulted in the dangerous use of stereotypes and a distortion of the facts being among the factors of strained relationship.
The goal of this project is to introduce the process of European and Euro-Atlantic integration, socio-economic and political reforms in Ukraine as well as our position on countering the security threats faced by Ukraine in the context of Russian aggression to the Hungarian expert and media communities, establish a dialogue and strengthen good-neighbour relations between Ukraine and Hungary.
Agenda of introductory visit
The visit will take place on the third decade of May, 2018 (22-26 tentatively) and include 3 stages:
Stay in Kyiv (2 days):
1) Meetings with the representatives of (the list is tentative and is subject to confirmation)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine;
- Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine;
- Reanimation Package of Reforms;
- Ukrainian side of the Ukraine-EU Civil Society Platform, Ukrainian National Platform of the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum;
- State Committee on Television and Radio Broadcasting;
- Public TV;
- The office of General Prosecutor.
2) Visiting the Ukrainian-Hungarian Forum (with the participation of representatives of the ministries of both countries responsible for the formation and implementation of bilateral dialogue between the countries).
Stay in the eastern Ukraine (1 day):
3) The program of the visit in the eastern of Ukraine is as follows:
- meeting with representatives of the administration of liberated cities;
- visiting social infrastructure places;
- meetings with civic activists;
- meeting with representatives of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission, as well as representatives of the Ukrainian Armed Forces;
- visiting the sites where humanitarian help was provided by Hungarian side.
Working language of all meetings will be English.
- Journalists working in Hungarian media (Please indicate if an additional representative from the outlet such as a cameraman is needed).
- Experience of covering foreign-policy issues. Preference will be given for people with experience on covering Eastern Europe or/and Ukraine.
- Working level of English allowing to actively take part in all parts of the visit and follow up activities.
- Ability to take part in all activities of the visit in the third decade of May, 2018 (22-26 tentatively).
- Commitment to prepare two media pieces on Ukrainian issues in the Hungarian media after the visit.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please fill in the Google Form http://bit.ly/HU_UA before April 25, 2018.
Participants will be selected by the Selection Committee including representatives of the Foreign Policy Council «Ukrainian Prism», Centre for Euro-Atlantic Integration and Democracy (Hungary), and Embassy of Ukraine to Hungary.
Selected participants will be notified after April 30, 2018.
The organizers cover all visit related costs for the participants:
1. Return airline tickets to Kyiv from Hungary (local transport at your home country is not included)
2. Accommodation (single room in a hotel) and board
3. Ground transportation during the whole stay, including train to the east of Ukraine.
For details, please contact:
Yevheniy Romanenko, manager of the project, Foreign Policy Council «Ukrainian Prism», email@example.com.
The Foreign Policy Council "Ukrainian Prism»
“Civic Synergy” Project
Centre for Euro-Atlantic Integration and Democracy (Hungary)
Embassy of Ukraine in Hungary